Tenants FAQ's

At Duncan Perry Estate Agents our lettings team realise that looking for a property to rent can be a daunting task whether this is your first time renting or you have rented in the past. Our staff will do their utmost to help you find your perfect home by listening to your requirements and trying to steer you through the rental process.

Below we have listed a number of questions that we are regularly asked by our customers, hopefully they will provide some of the answers you are looking for. If you have any other questions that you would like to ask please give us a call or email us.

Will I need references?

Yes. In order to ensure that you have the means to pay the rent we will need to check your credit history and take up references from a former landlord (if applicable), your employer, a bank reference and a character reference. If these are satisfactory then you can move into the property.

Reserving a property

Should you want to reserve a property you will need to pay a holding fee while we take up the necessary references and prepare the documentation. If for any reason you decide not to proceed, or the references aren't acceptable this deposit is non-refundable.

Do I have to pay a deposit?

Yes, you will be required to pay one months' rent in advance plus a dilapitation's deposit, this is required in case of any damage or dilapidation of the property during the tenancy. Your deposit will be placed in a recognised Tenancy Deposit Scheme and refunded at the end of your tenancy subject to any deductions after we have carried out an assessment of damage / dilapidations on the property.

Your lease agreement

You will be required to sign an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement at the beginning of the tenancy. This is normally for a period of 6 months with the option to renew your tenancy. Once the Agreement is signed both you and the landlord are committed to the full term of the tenancy.

When can I collect the keys to the property?

You will be able to collect your keys on the day your tenancy commences once payment of all monies due has been received and the necessary paperwork signed.

What repairs is the Landlord responsible for?

Landlords are responsible for most repairs including carrying out a gas safety check every 12 months. They are also responsible for repairs to the exterior or structure of the property and for keeping the equipment for supplying water, gas and electricity in safe working order.

What other bills will I have to pay?

You will be responsible for the payment of all bills including gas, electricity, council tax, water and telephone. We will normally notify all services of your move to the property and arrange for meter readings on properties which we manage. We are unable to arrange the telephone for you so you will need to do this yourself.

What insurance will i need to arrange?

The Landlord will normally insure the building and his/her contents, but you are responsible for ensuring your own belongings and for any damage that you cause to the Landlord's property. We can provide you with details of a special tenant's policy if you wish.

Who is responsible for the TV licence?

This will largely depend on who provides the TV. If the landlord provides the TV then they are responsible for paying the TV licence unless the Tenancy Agreement clearly states otherwise. If you have your own TV then you are responsible for the licence.

Our Branches

Brookmans Park

79 Bradmore Green
Brookmans Park
Hertfordshire AL9 7QT
Tel: 01707 664549
Fax: 01707 663124

Potters Bar

48 The Broadway
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire EN6 2HW
Tel: 01707 655466

Join Our Mailing List

© Duncan Perry 2019 All Rights Reserved all 3rd party trademarks acknowledged.